Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 01-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #101
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

A touch more progress.

I removed the exhaust system and replaced the second muffler. Car is much more sensible without that blown-out muffler. Multiple people commented that the car sounded "great" but it was numbing to ride in it.

The back half of the Euro S dual exhaust system is identical to that of the US 85-86 system so the part was available. I had to lower the exhaust and cut open the tubes between the front and back halves. Then had the good front half of the back half (if that makes sense) welded to the pumpkin section.

My next exhaust mod will follow: replacing the stock "lima bean" exhaust manifolds with some '85 "shorty headers" that flow and sound better. That'll require a cut and weld as the exhaust manifold flanges don't line up right with the combination of later manifolds and earlier heads. The location of the exhaust ports on the heads is different and pulls the right side forward about 3" and the left side back about 1/2". Only the right side needs to be modified.

I got the new/used section from 928 International a year ago and wanted to complete the job before this years supply of on-sale used parts arrived. Actually, I wanted to finish it before ordering but the holidays intervened.

Got it done in balmy 30F conditions yesterday. -1F with a wind today! Maybe I need that garage heater. I had a woodburner out there but rarely used it as the cars and parts were too close to it. Now the insurance company made me remove it. Criminals!

The car is nicely jacked up. I'm thinking I may investigate that dripping gas tank. Cracked tank or leaking at the outlet? Either way, not acceptable. I'm entertaining a fuel cell but I do have a spare "elephant head" in the rafters.

Last edited by GlenL; 01-04-2015 at 07:58 PM.
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote