Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #28
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

We got going from Missoula fairly early. We stopped at a parts store to get some oil. The drip from the drain plug was totaling maybe a half quart a day. Not too bad. Also got a brake light bulb.

After topping off the oil I checked the coolant. It was a bit low. They had topped it up some at the oil change place so I was concerned. Back inside to get some antifreeze. I filled it to the top and we were on the road.

When I started the car I had a real surprise: no warning lights. No need to press the "genius" button. While there were a lot of things that didn't work the warning lights all did. At times.

We blasted (blasted!) down I90 towards Yellowstone. We're in the neighborhood, right? The engine is really running nicely at this point. Suspiciously nicely, I'd think. No matter. We were moving along well.

One thing that concerned me was the gas situation. No gauge and no mileage. I resorted to figuring out the use like an airplane; in gallons per hour. Looking at the fill-ups and the time on the road it was something like 3 1/2 per hour. Since we were moving along at 70 or so it was getting about 20 MPG. Suspicious! Can't be that good. Still hard to keep track of. At the last station before Yellowstone it takes 21.5 gallons. We'd have never made it to the next station.

None of us had been to Yellowstone before. It's pretty cool. All the geysers and hot springs and such. We did some hiking and looking and made it to Old Faithful just before an eruption. "Hey! That's cool!"

It's getting late in the day but it'll still be light for the next one so we go for a hike in the area. We're a ways off the boardwalk, minding our own business when my son, in the front, says "Look! Buffalo!" And, sure enough, there are two on either side of the trail. Maybe 10 to 15 feet off the trail. "The Boy" calmly walks between them. The bison (Yes, we know better) don't move a muscle. Pretty tired of us bipedal interlopers. I had picked the tree I'd run behind. And the one I'd climb.

We see another eruption. It's smaller than before and obscured a bit by all the steam. Still very cool. Then it's time to hit the road.

I go to start the car and... click. click. click. The battery is too weak to crank the car. Looking under the hood I can see the alternator belt is hanging pretty slackly.

I've packed jumper cables and get a jump start. The car fires, runs a bit and dies. The park is pretty empty and is emptying out fairly quickly. I wanted to start it and then tighten the belt with it running. (Hey! We can all do that. Right?) Another jump ends the same. I did get it backed up a bit so decide to tighten the belt there.

Only takes a few minutes laying in the wet parking lot to get it tightened. My son and I push it a bit and I can jump in and get it to fire. Success! All the warning lights come on and refuse to go off. The gauge shows good voltage so we're set for a drive to Jackson, WY. That's the former Jackson Hole. Those Chamber types can't have fun, I suppose.

We're cruising through Yellowstone as darkness falls. It's first pretty and then pretty scary. A lot of corners and waves that upset the car. Plus the specter of large mammals that may wander out on the road. The speeds are low so we wander out of the park when it's pitch black. No moon that night. No stars, either.

We're talking about getting to Jackson Hole and my son's plans to see a good college friend of his when I notice that something is wrong. The gloriously lit-up dash seems different. Dimmer. Crap. The headlights, too. In a couple of minutes the car starts to stumble and then stops running at all. I coast it off the road and we go to check the situation.

With The Boy holding his laptop over the engine it's clear the belt is completely missing. Fortunately, Ken had given us some parts and in there was an alternator belt. We get down to business.

Seeing a classic Porsche on the shoulder attracts some attention. And Wyomingans are nice people. The first group to stop offers a flashlight. Gratefully accepted! Another guy volunteers to check on us in a half hour. It takes about that long to get the belt on and get it push started. Again. The lights blazed on full and we were off.

Arrival in Jackson Hols was a bit behind schedule. The decent restaurants were closing and we were directed to a pizza place. It's a haven for the distracted youth of the town who have droopy eyes and sport very cool skate board clothes. A DJ sets up in a corner and starts playing music. It is Friday, after all. Actually was a good time.

Took a while to find the lodge from Sky King ski area (Hotwire rules!) especially since the desk clerk didn't know East from West.

All-in-all, a good day.