Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 04-13-2019, 08:44 PM   #199
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default Engine shocks and rack buffer

Getting back to the car as it's almost driving season. I didn't get a cage put in as that effort was overcome by events like paying a college bill. (Kids interfere with car projects!)

To move the project along, I've put in the engine shocks. These absorb engine vibration and really aren't needed on any sort of track car. Besides adding smoothness, I'm hoping they hold the engine a little more upright in corners. Last year, I found the the '85 Tubular manifolds touched the lower knuckle on the sterring shaft in hard-right corners. That's as exciting as it sounds. This happened on my other Euro S, too. Easy to put in.

We'll see if it works at the first track weekend of the season. That's the last weekend in April. The local PCA club does their event in Brainerd, MN. This isn't a smart combination and it has been snowed out in years past. We'll see.

In this PCA region, the car needs an inspection before going to the track. These are done at local P-car shops. It passed last fall just fine but a different tech looked this year. It failed. He cited too-loose front wheel bearings, a loose inner ball-joint and no battery tie down. OK! I had a number of tie rods with good inner balls to choose from. The bearings needed just a small bit of tightening.

While replacing the ball joint, I spotted an extra buffer on the steering rack. (Pictured.) I've seen these before and wonder what the heck it's for. I've often thought the turning radius was too large at lock. Now I see why. The aluminum ring inside of the rubber stop isn't found in the PET. I removed that from the right side. I'll pull back the boot and check the left, too. It should help in parking lots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EngineShock.jpg (150.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RackBuffer.jpg (176.1 KB, 0 views)