Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 03-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #144
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default Parts!

Now that it's getting towards spring, the engine project is coming together. All the machine shop work is done. Here's the block and heads all clean and wrapped up. The block got some broken bolts fixed, including a stud I broke, and it's been decked about 0.005". That should help with gasket sealing.

The heads got a full valve job. One springs was broken but otherwise it just needed guides and seals and machine work. The shop also did some porting work. They made a larger radius on the inside of the intakes. No flow bench results. Minor surfacing to ensure it's flat. I should have had the cam tower surfaced as well to help sealing there.

The crank also got a check and a polish. No issues.

I thought about getting the pistons balanced and decided not to. I've asked for that in the past and have been told that they're pretty close to begin with. I'll spend the money elsewhere.

Almost all the parts are here. I've been collecting them for years. I found the correct bearing set on eBay that's been NLA for a couple of years. The 97mm rings are sometimes hard to find. I've been looking for a tougher top ring but can't find anything stock that'll fit.

I'm trying to decide on what to do with the studs. I'd like a full new set but the stock Porsche studs are not as stiff as the ones that are on there. I've thought about getting an ARP set. 928MS sells one.($480!) Looks like that's really two 944 2.5l sets with the two short studs pulled from another ARP Porsche kit. I might just salvage studs off the blocks I've got.

Otherwise, just waiting on the crank scraper kit from 928 Motorsports. My order for a kit from Ishihara-Johnson went awry and they refunded the money. I've been very happy with the I-J kit on my first track car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180324_080924.jpg (256.5 KB, 1 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to GlenL For Your Post:
carlege (03-25-2018)