View Single Post
Unread 05-05-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
RSS Feed
Newsfeed Bot

RSS Feed is on a distinguished road
Default BMW releases slew of 2013 X1 photos, details fuel mileage and pricing

Filed under: Car Buying, Crossover, BMW, Luxury

Click the image to open in full size.

It's hard to believe that BMW has been selling SUV's for 13 years now. When the BMW X5 launched to great controversy in 1999, "crossover" had yet to be coined and not a soul on this planet would have predicted that one day BMW would be offering the two-sizes-smaller X1. Yet it hits dealer lots this fall, in multiple models with a long line of options and trim packages.

The most basic choice when it comes to the X1 is whether you want a four- or six-cylinder engine. The two-liter, turbocharged four delivers 240 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque and is available exclusively with an eight-speed automatic, though both rear-drive (X1 sDrive28i) and all-wheel-drive (xDrive28i) versions are available. BMW says rear-drive four-cylinder X1 models can do 0-60 mph in 6.2 seconds, while the all-wheel-drive model is a tenth slower. Projected EPA fuel economy numbers are 24 mpg city, 33 highway, and 27 combined for the rear-drive model and 22 city, 30 highway, and 25 combined with all-wheel-drive.

Then there's the six. With three liters of displacement and a single turbocharger, the N55 inline-six makes 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque. Available exclusively with a six-speed automatic and all-wheel-drive, the X1 xDrive35i does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, but you'll pay for that power at the pump. EPA ratings are just 18 mpg city, 27 highway, and 21 combined. The real world fuel economy difference between the four- and six-cylinder X1 models could prove to be even greater than what's reflected in the EPA numbers, as the four-cylinder models include start-stop technology and eco modes, which are not part of the xDrive35i package.

And before we move on to trim packages, note that there is no manual transmission available in any X1. Keep reading for more ruminations on the 2013 X1.Continue reading BMW releases slew of 2013 X1 photos, details fuel mileage and pricing

BMW releases slew of 2013 X1 photos, details fuel mileage and pricing originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 04 May 2012 15:44:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

...More...