Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 04-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #112
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

Re-installing the torque tube and tranny assembly wasn't so much fun. Installation may be the reverse of disassembly but disassembly was working with gravity and installation wasn't.

It took a lot of hefting, repositioning and jacking to get the mess back into position. I fashioned a sort of cradle out of wood scraps to hold the tranny as there isn't a flat spot on the bottom. I could finally get it onto the big floor jack and nurse it up and back, over the lowered cradle and into position. I strapped the tranny back to the crossmember and attached the torque tube to the bellhousing. (That took forever, see above)

The interesting ("interesting") part was getting the transmission mounts bolted up. As you can see below, the two mounts aren't the same but sure might be. The one with the hole in the middle was on the right side of the transmission. All transmissions from '80 use the same mounts don't quote me) and only the early transmissions use different mounts (do quote me). Those early versions had the battery mounted to the transmission and the mounts reflected that.

So... I had to lower the cradle and remove both mounts. Only one needed to be swapped. The bolts that hold the mounts to the transmission aren't easy to get at from under the vehicle. Got that done and everything lined up nice. It's interesting that the bolts from the cradle to the body have such low torque values for the size of the bolts. That's a good opportunity for some loctite, I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00514.jpg (97.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg CAM00513_crop.jpg (81.8 KB, 53 views)