Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 04-18-2015, 12:57 AM   #107
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

Here are the new, reworked and used clutch parts.

I took the clutch apart and it looked OK, mostly. It was dragging a lot and I want to avoid that. The discs were a worn but still useable. Porsche doesn't give wear limits based on disc thickness but only on release arm position above a hole on the lower bellhousing cover. That's kind of lame.

So I resolved to refresh the clutch. The challenging part is that there's no clutch kit available and the individual parts are really pricey. I cobbled together what you see here.

I took the two discs and the flywheel in to a local brake shop. Got the flywheel ground and the discs relined. Together the discs cost about $600 new. (Really!) A relining was $120 for the two. $45 for the clutch. I had spotted a good looking intermediate plate on eBay. It looks new with no wear on the center "donut" or on the gears. Looks good. I also spotted a pressure plate there and got it for a bit less than retail.

For the throwout bearing, I used the one I pulled from my other 928 like 10 years ago. Back then the kits were available and I kept the parts. The one from the car was kind of sticky and crunch but the spare one turned nicely. The guide tube could have been replaced but at $80 I reused it. Got new alignment pins from McMaster-Carr for $10 for 25. I've got a lifetime supply.

The intermediate shaft looked OK. Much better than the spare I had.

Cleaned up all the parts and lubed them according to the manual. I've got a tube of the correct Optimoly for the intermediate shaft.

One thing I'm concerned with is that the relined discs are about 8.5mm thick while new ones are 8mm. I'm hoping the clutch will open wide enough. The hydraulics are self-adjusting. If not I've got spare, used discs to go in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00505.jpg (223.0 KB, 2 views)