Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 05-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #153
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default Intake tube polishing

Here's a few pictures and discussion on polishing the intake tubes.

This picture shows the first set of tools used on the tube. They're in order of use, left-to-right.

The first tool is a eye hook on a rope that drag either a Scotchbrite pad or rag through the tube. The trick is two large washers that force those against the sides of the tube. The tube is a bit more than 1 1/2" and the washers are 22mm.

With some mineral spirits on the scratchy pad, the inside of the tubes got fairly clean. Then the rag gets the solvent. When I first tried the sandpaper flap, it got gunked up really quickly and the working part had to get cut off. That's OK but I was going through the paper pretty quickly. Cleaning it first worked well.

The second step was to use the wire wheel on the ends. The wheel is 1 1/2" and fit the tube well. Lightly pressing up/down/left/right and the ends got nice and shiny. The nose of the drill fit into the tube so it'd get 4" in from the end.

Then comes the sandpaper flap. That's a "locally sourced" tool. The spring shaft is from a magnetic pick-up tool. With a finishing nail pressed into the end, it could get clamped tightly in the drill chuck. The sandpaper is a 1" wide sanding belt cut in half. Then the belt gets duct-taped to the shaft and it's ready to go.

I fed the flap in a few times from each end and worked in back-and-forth a lot. After each of the first two or three cycles the end needed to be cut off but after that it wasn't getting clogged with oily dirt. I was surprised how much gunk was inside the tubes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PolishingTools1.jpg (139.4 KB, 0 views)