Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 04-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #146
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

Working on mundane cleaning and ordering final parts. Some improvising was necessary to get the cam towers apart.

This engine has the steel liners for the lifters. One side came apart fine but on the second that just wouldn't budge. This is Minnesota and the garage isn't heated so I thought that some heat would help. A propane torch didn't seem to heat the tower much so I got a bigger torch. (below) In this case, it's a sunflower heater mounted to a tank. The cam tower is clamped to a bench and sticks out over the heater. Worked like a charm. When the tower got hot to the touch the liners would slide out without much force.

This engine is really filthy inside. It ran great but it's amazing that it did. All the o-ring and rubber parts are solid and crunchy. It's no wonder there was so much oil on the outside.

Some of the lifters are stuck hard. I've gone to using a gear puller to force some action on the button. Eventually, they get to 1/8" or so of motion which I figure is OK. I've got some extra used lifters as back-ups but want to put the originals back in the same sleeves. So far, the lifters have loosened up without any obvious damage.

The next goal is to get these cam towers back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PropaneHeating.jpg (237.7 KB, 1 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to GlenL For Your Post:
carlege (04-13-2018)