Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 04-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #139
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

What's wrong with this picture?

Well, lots of things. First off, it's a US '79 engine in an '80 Euro S car. I swapped in this donor engine so I can move and drive the car while working on the Euro S engine.

I do want to call attention to the fine use of off-the-shelf hose to replace hoses on the '79.

The fancy heated vent hose is gone. The heater line, for the coolant, is replace by some 3/8" fuel line running from the rear of the right head back to the crossover. I though about blocking them off, maybe with a plate on the head, but put in a hose instead. For the vent line I've just got some big (1 1/4"?) water hose the runs over the side.

The hose from the auxiliary air regulator to the cold start valve was really crisp. That's replaced by some 3/4" heater hose and a couple of elbows. Had to go around the long way to make it work.

There's a similar approach for the brake booster. Easy to grab from the junk bins and make something work.

Check out the bright yellow wire for the alternator excitation. The original one inside that harness must have snapped off. There was 12V at the 14-pin connector but 0v at the alternator. Fixed now...

So I'm zooming the car around. The lower power level is really noticeable with 216 instead of 300hp. Maybe not tuned up so well, either. Still, it runs and drives and I can keep fixing the electrics and other things while pacing myself on the engines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM01061.jpg (234.2 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by GlenL; 04-23-2017 at 09:34 PM.
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GlenL For Your Post:
carlege (04-24-2017)