Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 09-22-2018, 12:53 AM   #183
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default Blow-by catch can

This catch can is for the blow-by coming out the top of the oil filler. The connection at the lower plenum for that hose is plugged. It's a 2 liter can with a handy sight gauge and a drain plug.

The can is mounted on the right side of the engine bay where the air filter for the air injection system. There are three 6mm bolt holes there but none point straight out. I used a piece of aluminum to fab a plate and that's bolted to the wall with the three holes and the can is bolted to the plate. It's really solid.

On my other car I had a lot of problems with blow-by carrying oil mist back into the intake. This leads to the well-known problem of 928 blowing a lot of oil smoke at high RPMs. The windage kit and tight rings should lower that but routing the blow-by out of the engine stops it all together. On my other 928, checking the catch volume is a good way to see if the oil ejection issue is controlled.

Something else on the engine is an oil control plate from 928 International. That goes under the oil filler to block oil being thrown off the crank from going into the stock separator can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CatchCan.jpg (241.8 KB, 2 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to GlenL For Your Post:
carlege (09-26-2018)