Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 09-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #180
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default Koni Coil-overs

The engine is in! Still not hooked up or started. I want to be ready to lower the car so am finishing up the suspension first.

I'm swapping the 5" springs to a 2.5" ID "hypercoil" system. Not Hypercoils but Summit Racing house brand. The front is 7" 550 lbs/in and the rear is 9" 400lbs/in.

I've sourced the mounting parts from eBay and Summit. Got some cheap used bits from eBay that work fine. The lower parts are easy as the Koni's are pretty standard 2" bodies with good seating rings. The front worked with a 5" threaded sleeve and the rear needed a 7" sleeve. Both have stock adjuster rings.

The tops are a bit trickier. The fronts are using the bit pictured that included the round, gold-colored piece that fits nicely into the stock top. To make that fit right on the shaft, I broke up a couple of cracked rod covers (the black tubes) and pulled out the metal collar. That's just above the spring in the first picture which shows a front disassembled. That provides the offset on the shaft so the top nut compresses the rubber top onto the rod correctly.

For the rears, I got an official Koni shock top. (P/N 80-0000-0008) this fits snugly over the rod and fits nicely against the stock shock top. I left the metal bottom on the shock top as it supports the rubber part. The Koni top is for a 2.25" spring but the 2.5" spring still works. The total height on the rod is good with the nut going just below the top thread when tight. I was afraid of needing to grind down the Koni top but it worked.

I'll have all these in soon and get it fired up this weekend. Might even be driving it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FrontShockParts.jpg (170.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg AssembledKonis.jpg (135.8 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by GlenL; 08-18-2021 at 01:50 PM.
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote