Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 09-22-2018, 12:40 AM   #182
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default Clutch master bled

Got the clutch master bled today. It wasn't that hard but it was messy. I recalled someone saying that they had bled it "backwards" by forcing fluid up from the slave. That worked great.

The slave was OK once I put it back together. Not sure what happened but the rod was in the catch can and I'd shot the piston out. ("how'd that get there?!") The slave was new a couple of years back so I reassembled it and put it back in.

I've got a vacuum pump with a brake bleeding cup. The cup has a top with two hoses attached. It seals tightly. Normally, a hose goes from the top and to the vacuum pump while the other hose runs down into the cup. When drawing fluid in, it goes to the bottom and just air leaves from the top. I used that to bleed the brakes and it worked well.

To bleed the master, I filled the cup and attached the "inlet" hose to the hard line at the slave. I removed the slave to reduce the volume of fluid needed. Then I very gently pressurized the cup from an air compressor to force the fluid up into the hardline and up into the master. Some fluid sprayed around and the brake fluid runs out pretty quickly when the line was not plugged. Took a couple of tries to figure it out. Had to top up the reservoir along the way.

After forcing a full cupful (maybe 2/3 cup of fluid) up into the system, and no air, I quickly attached the slave and vacuum bled that. I was surprised at how solid the clutch pedal felt. Ran the car and the clutch opens great with no dragging.