Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 08-21-2018, 01:52 AM   #173
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default Offset Woodruf Keys

On my other 928, I used an offset Woodruf key to get the cams aligned. The older cams have no degreeing ability. These are Mercedes parts that come on a lot of cars like 1984-1989 Mercedes-Benz 190.

Something I found is that the Mercedes must have a larger diameter cam. When they say "3 degrees" I calculated about 4.1.

On this engine, I wanted to not just align the cams but to retard them. That'll move the torque peak up in the RPM band. As this is going to be a track car, that'll add power where it's used.

The first pic shows the cam timing for 1-4 (right). That's typical where the engine is 2-3 degrees late. Going to make it a bit later and move the 5-8 cam to match.

The second pic shows the Woodruff Keys. Unfortunately, the cams use logs so those need to be ground down. That's the third picture showing the stock keys and ground-down keys. I got three keys in 2-3-4 degrees to use.

Originally, I was going to move them to be each retarded 4 degrees but instead left the 1-4 alone and just retarded the right 3 degrees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CamNotch.jpg (235.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SteppedKeys.jpg (157.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ShapedKeys.jpg (240.0 KB, 0 views)