Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 09-22-2019, 12:26 AM   #213
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default Bad ignition switch

I've been working on electrical gremlins lately. Warm evenings and baseball on the radio lend themselves to mild puttering.

Learning a lot about the wiring system on the 928. Some people have these things memorized but I'm getting there that bus 30 is unswitched battery, 31 is ground, X is accessory and 15 is run.

A few things have eluded resolution along the way. The turn signal indicator light and engine temperature are intermittent. The speedometer doesn't work. The volt meter bounces a lot with turn signals and brakes.

I had cleaned the grounds previously and revisited that. No difference. So I started to check voltages and resistances in the system. I won't list them all but some things don't seem to follow what they should be. What really was interesting was that bus 15 was about a half volt less than bus 30 with the car running and no other lights on. Hmmm... That should be a direct connection with a negligible difference

So it was time to pull the pod and check the wiring to the pod and the ignition switch. And, look, the ignition switch is busted and the halves are separating. Got a used out of the spares box and Ohm'd it out. Should work fine.

Hopefully this'll be the start of getting it all working. I'll be fixing that tang for the horn contact that broke off. Two steps this way, one step that way, it's inevitable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IgnitionSwitch.jpg (186.5 KB, 0 views)