View Single Post
Unread 10-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #1
Kurt R
User

Kurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the rough
Default House Hunting - Wait?

If I haven't mentioned it on this board, I'm going to be a grandpa.
My stepdaughter's baby shower was last Saturday, and while we were visiting we checked out a couple of houses.

They live in Bettendorf IA. Housing has been hot there for a while now. Lots of families living across the river in Rock Island and Moline are moving to Iowa for the better schools and lower taxes. Current conditions just make the market hotter. The houses we looked at were listed about 15-20% above assessed value. Maybe I'm jaded, but I didn't see anything that interested me. Tiny rooms, poor quality remodeling, weird issues.

The first one had new siding and a new kitchen, but nothing else done. In the disclosure sheet they stated a racoon got into the chimney, then up into the attic, and caused $12000 damage. All the window latches were broken. The shower in the master was scary.

The second one had tiny rooms, and a weird stairway to the basement. Somebody drove too far into the garage and knocked the back wall off the foundation.

I've heard that nobody with kids wants to move during the school season, so maybe it's best to wait until spring to look in earnest. Mom will hopefully be less stressed once the baby gets here as well. Any chance prices will crash?
Kurt R is offline   Reply With Quote