Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 09-09-2018, 12:16 AM   #178
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

Sometimes progress is hard to see. I'e been working on the rebuild of the car that's doable with the engine out. And finishing up the engine but that's just assembling the bolt-on parts.

The pic isn't too interesting but shows a new brake master, new heater hoses and a new blue hose that runs to a new clutch master.

The clutch master is a real pain. I've done one before but perhaps that car had the smaller brake booster. This swap requires removing the booster to get swap the clutch master. That's a headache, and backache, of laying under the dash to get the clevis' off the pedals and to bolt-in the new unit. The clutch master sits on the engine side of the firewall but it bolts from the inside. Hard to get it aligned just by myself. A wad of newspaper would hold the clutch master close to the right position and then I could jiggle it into place from the inside.

The heater hoses are a bit of a luxury. This is a track car but this is Minnesota. Heat and defrost is nice here. The car will remain street legal, too. Also, I'm not worried about making the PCA class weight so don't need to pull every available ounce. Those were easy once I removed the wiper motor.

While in there... I fixed the washer pump and the plumbing for it. The wipers work and the washer works, too, now. I've gotten a URO pump before but the manufacturing tolerances in the pump are too low so it won't re-prime itself. THis motor was OK but the pump was jammed. Some careful work to not strip the shaft or break it and it eventually turned easily.

Meanwhile, I've been working on the coilovers, too. Putting in 2.5" coils on Koni shocks. I'm targeting 550 lbs/in in front and 400 lbs/in in back. I'm working out the mounting and coil lengths.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EngineBay.jpg (211.8 KB, 0 views)