Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 07-22-2018, 11:29 PM   #166
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default Block assembled with windage kit

So this was a day long in coming. The block is assembled with the windage kit put in!

I've been working on the windage kit for a while to make it fit. This one is from 928 Motorsports. I had ordered one from Ishihara-Johnson but Kevin Johnson has had medical problems and, after a year, refunded the money. I've got one of his kits in another car. Comparing the two, the I-J kit is better with more parts. The 928M kit is adequate, after a modification and addition. Still, it was on the shelf and I expect it to work fine.

The Windage kit has a fair number of parts. The right-side drain (1-4) directs oil from the heads back to the sump. It has fingers that stick out into the rotating assembly to do the scraping of oil and mist from it. This part went in easily and needed only minor filing to get good clearance.

The left-side (5-8) drain catches the oil from the head. and has a set of 4 finger that get attached and reach up into the block to catch draining oil. These are tricky to put on. The drains get bolted down with the M10 nuts/studs along the side. The drain needs to be on the studs but loose, and the crank turned just so, to get the fingers mounts to the drain. Helps to work from the back to the front. Something I found is that the little studs that are used to attach these are too short to allow the lock-nuts to really engage their lock rings. I put blue Loctite on all of them.

The plate down the middle took a small bit of filing to get clearances. One rod stud touched the plate. Otherwise, it just bolted on.

The trap doors needed some grinding to work right. They're supposed to move freely so they're closed when the car is accelerating and loose when cruising. When the hinges got torques down, the hinge for the door part got clamped to the underlying plate. Tooks a while to see the real problem. I guess the hinges should be loose as the rod is smaller and should give some space, but it didn't work out. I could see the marks on the plate from working the doors back-forth. Some black marker there helped to see what was touching, too. Finally, after a few passes of grinding and testing, the doors would move freely and will close and open with the car accel/decel.

Something sharp eyes will spot is the later oil pick-up. I've removed the stock "cloverleaf" and screen and put in the more basic pick-up. I'm not convinced the cloverleaf had any benefits and worried the rubber seal to the pick-up tube would age and leak. Also, the later pick-up has a screen while the earlier tube does not.

In preparation for the assembly, I calibrated my torque wrench. Good thing, too, as it was really low. I tried to eyeball that but maybe 20% off. I used a 35lb dumbell and measured along the wrench to find 12" and 18" places to hang it. So the wrench is calibrated to be good at 35ft-lbs and 52.5 ft-lbs. That's up to 75 Nm which is a good range for the work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scraper.jpg (222.3 KB, 0 views)