Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 07-09-2019, 12:30 AM   #208
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default PS pump front seal

I've got a pile of parts so grabbed a likely-looking PS pump, put a new seal on the front, and put it in. So far, so good.

I've got a few seals, too. Got five a few years back as free samples. These are 42 x 20 x 7 oil seals. I forget the material. It's a "Double lip" with TC profile and in neoprene? ATF requires a more chemical-resistant material. Anyways... Popped one on the replacement pump for a bit more confidence. The seal can be driven in pretty far. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be driven all the way against the bearing or not. After 50 miles it's still dry.

The oil pump shaft seal goes in only flush with the housing. If that is put too far back the seal is eaten by the pump itself. Looking at the two pumps, the seals were both back from the housing but not fully seated. We'll see how it goes.

The last pic is the former pump. I noticed it collected some fluid on the back. The back also struck me as a different make that the other pumps I've seen. Maybe the o-ring there failed, but the leak seemed to be coming from the body.

The shop that inspected the car before the track season (local PCA needs that) said the PS belt was too loose. Those are hard to tension and I use a 3' crowbar on it. Maybe it's cracked but the housing is pretty solid and I didn't see anything odd. The belt is actually a lot easier to tension from underneath. A short pry bar helps give the belt tight and the bolt that needs to be tightened is easy to see.

So... Back to the track later this month. Still shaking down the car, it seems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSfrontSeal1.jpg (231.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PSfrontSeal2.jpg (165.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PSpump.jpg (256.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by GlenL; 07-15-2019 at 12:50 PM.
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote