Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 10-09-2018, 12:37 AM   #191
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default Track days!

Here's a great pic: getting the car out on the track. It was cool and drizzly at Brainerd Intl Raceway.

I thought the weekend went great even though the car had some issues.

The first problem was the brake pads, having been previously used, didn't mate up well with the rotors. I like Hawk Blues and moved a set in that'd been used a couple of weekends on car #1. They felt super spongy and when bleeding them I noticed that the fronts weren't contacting the rotors over most of the rotor. Nothing looked angled but there was enough to be a problem. A number of laps with excessive braking resolved this.

An exciting problem was something I had on the other car. The '85 manifolds are closer to the steering knuckle. In hard right turns the engine heaves over and the left manifold would contact the tip of the bolt that clamps the U-joint to the long shaft. Swapping the bolt end-to-end so the head faces the manifold in a corner solved the problem...mostly. It still feels like there's a bit of contact but it doesn't hold the wheel in place. That's not nice. I'll have to figure this out. Maybe new engine mounts are in order.

The biggest issue was an oil leak that was causing some smoke. The corner workers are not very agreeable and I got black flagged twice before figuring out the oil problem. The hoses for the "super cool" catch can were too small for the blow-by at high powers. This pressurized the engine and made oil squirt out especially from the top of the dipstick tube. It was quite a mystery how so much oil was coming out near there when the cam seal was dry.

I fixed that by removing the hose to the catch and just running a 1" hose over the side of the engine. That solves the oil leak but fed high-power blow-by and oil mist directly to the exhaust system. This changed what had been a frequent nuisance cloud into an occasional Jame Bond escape cloud. The straight at BIR is almost a full mile so plenty of time to build oil problems. If I kept the RPMs below 6K there wasn't a problem. If I held it at WOT a bit longer in each gear it'd make a cloud. Black flagged again! I decided that was enough for the weekend.

Still, a good weekend for me. Got the car out and shook down some problems. The car is running pretty strongly and it's handling well. No coolant usage. No odd noises. High oil pressure.

Reminds me... I changed the oil to Amsoil racing 15w50 before heading to the track. There was very little metal in the oil and very little in the oil filter. I've done a couple other 928 builds and found a lot more "sparkle" in the oil pan then. Maybe the Mahle rings shed less flakes than Goetze do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZombieBIR.jpg (148.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by GlenL; 10-10-2018 at 10:44 AM.
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GlenL For Your Post:
carlege (10-09-2018)