Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 08-21-2018, 01:27 AM   #171
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default Fixed the stud

The stud has been fixed. At least for now. It got a Big-Sert at the machine shop and they torqued the head down. It's holding at 80 ft-lbs so good for now. I am a bit concerned that it won't hold over the long term. The shop used the inserts that come with the kit. Those are 16mm long and there are 24mm and 30mm inserts available. I almost took it apart to put in a 30mm but held off as the chance of screwing it up is good.

Here's some pics. The first one is the Heli-Coil kit. The second is the Time-Sert kits. The third is the Big-Sert.

The attempt with the Time-Sert was a bust. It turns out that the Heli-Coil and TIme-Sert use exactly the same tap. It's all a big "secrret" but they use standard tap sizes. The taps in both kits are indistinguishable, expect for banding, and are 14mmx1.5mm taps. Didn't measure what size the Big-Sert tap is. A clever guy could get a 14mmx1.5mm tap and some coils and just do it. The Time-Sert uses a spacial tap to set and bore-out the insert. It'll work without that tap but not as well.

Hindsight says the shop should have used the Time-Sert right off the bat. And that I should have tried it instead of trying to Heli-Coil it again.

The machine shop originally said that they'd weld it up and drill it afresh. After looking at it they said it was "too deep" to weld. Once again, I should have just done the Big-Sert myself and I'd have gotten the 30mm. 16mm is as long as the nut but I'd have liked more confidence. And, nope, they didn't cut the labor for doing the re-re-work. In the end, breaking the stud cost $700 to fix...and I'm still waiting to fire it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HeliCoil.jpg (223.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg TimeSert.jpg (235.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BigSert.jpg (212.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by GlenL; 08-21-2018 at 02:04 AM.
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote