Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 11-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #19
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

Seattle is a fun town.

My daughter wanted to see the Space Needle. I wanted to hit the road early.

The Space Needle was cool.

Since we had some time to kill before it opened, we took the fabulous monorail downtown and walked to Pike Place Market. (Don't all tourists go there?) it's an interesting place. We noticed some TV trucks and a crowd so we went to investigate. Turned out the Today show was broadcasting live from the market. Looking around, there she was. An object of my irrational interests...

Kathy Lee Gifford

She looked pretty good in person, guys and, yes, another one off the bucket list.

We packed up and loaded the car. In the parking garage I could see a flow of oil coming from under the car. It was on a little slope and looked worse than it was. A couple of tablespoons but I've got to drive it a long way. I elected to not test the remaining threads and watch the level instead. Also re-strung the power steering belt for the first of maybe 6 times.

We hit the road noon-ish and headed across Washington; hoping to get into Montana.

The driving was pretty good. I90 threads through the mountains nicely. The suspension was being difficult but I was figuring it out. After a while we get into the hinterlands (I'll bet Washingtonians have a better term) and the road straightens out.

I'm passing a few cars and keeping the speeds honest. I figure out that 2600 RPM is roughly 70 and that's 2.7 MPH per 100 RPM. (Time on my hands) I pass a few cars and see that sight that all P-car owners know:

Red and blue flashing lights on the front of an unmarked Chrysler.

The officer asks about my unsignalled lane changes. "I know, officer." I'm concerned he'll ask why I'm not using a seatbelt (Doesn't work) or why the fuel filter hangs like that or any other awkward topic. He sticks to the violation.

I receive my ticket and re-enter the highway using a clear hand signal. He leaves me alone at the time.

I'm signalling that way for a while and stop in a rest stop to effect a fix. I can't figure out what's wrong. Apparently no power to the relay when the stalk is moved. I fashion a jumper and route 12V to the relay output so the lights turn on when the stalk is up or down. 3 out of 4 corners work. So it goes.

We get into Missoula, MT about 9 and call it a night. It's surprising what hotels charge for walk-in guests. Well, not surprising. The only place that's serving food is an Irish restaurant with a really loud folk group. Eating is good, nonetheless.

At the end of the day, the car's moving, we're in Montana and I'm the proud recipient of a $124 ticket.