Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Blogs > UDPride

Rate this Entry

Back at work and dealing with Ike

Posted 09-15-2008 at 03:28 PM by UDPride
I returned to work today after 8 days off dealing with my mother and the funeral. To make things more stressful we had 65mph winds run through SW Ohio from Hurricane Ike and there are power lines and zillions of trees down. Theres a tree as big as a sequoia down in our yard that fell over from the neighbors yard. We live in the woods (sort of) and its a disaster. Power was out to half a million homes. We were without power for 15hrs.

I had to go into work yesterday (Sunday) for 6hrs to restore power to the building. Like Murphys Law, the backup generator didnt kick in like it should have because the battery in it was dead. So I had to fight that catastrophe all night and get all the servers back online.

This is exactly why I hate the job. I shouldnt be doing this kind of stuff on a Sunday night. I dont enjoy it and dont enjoy outside forces making be do things at times I dont want to do them. Im tired of dealing with servers and computers and IP addresses and firewalls and customer service calls and outages and everything else. Im a writer. I paid $40,000 15yrs ago to get a journalism degree and its high time I use it.

I told my old man last night that "Im gassed and I need to find a new path". He said "do you want to quit?" and I said yes. I dont think it will sink in unless I repeat it about 20 more times otherwise he'll just pretend like I never said it. Im thinking of giving the company 60 days. Enough time to teach someone else to do my job or find someone else who can. I have like 250 hours of vacation time built up and I prefer they just pay me for it so I dont have to take it. But I will take it if Im threatened of losing it. I could use the money more however since I plan to be off for a while.

I dont think the "Im quitting" conversation in the car really stuck with him. Its gonna need to be said over and over. He asked what I planned to do and I said recompose myself, decompress, take time off, and create a job where Im my own boss and enjoy getting up in the morning.

We'll see.
Total Comments 0

Comments

Recent Blog Entries by UDPride