Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Blogs > Admin

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Well.....

Posted 08-25-2008 at 01:58 PM by Admin
Hi all..

I guess I'm just going to write this post/thread as a "train of jumbled thoughts", since - every time I return from a trip like this, I find the words difficult to come by? So - maybe it's better, rather than attempting to do all in one post/thread, I'll try to do one "event" at a time?

For that - there are bunches of pics for this threadâ?¦ And, in the next few days, Pat and I will try to post others - similar, but yet different from the other events (certificates, soccer balls, Espwa, Technical School, etc.)? Same trip, yes. Different projects, events and people. You folks are doing - or rather "have done" so much for these projects in Haiti - you can not imagineâ?¦

For that - I know Patrick can imagine. He was there, in Haiti along with my Mom (Joan Dunkle) - seeing first hand all you have done. I am in his debt and he has my respect. Few - if any - would dare to go to Haiti. Patrick did. And for that, I think he saw a part of this world many can't imagine exists nor believe might exist as we go to our safe houses in our nice neighborhoods, and children - by the dozens - don't call out to you asking for food, or money, or note the color of your skin.

To Patrick: I respect youâ?¦ And you have my thanksâ?¦ More than you may knowâ?¦

Anyway - here is the first topic from the trip - dedicating a school in a remote and impoverished village in Haiti. This school is the first the village has ever had. Children from that village are usually sent out to other schools, or sent to relatives outside, or sold off or.. Well - whatever. The school was dedicated on July 11th - but it was really dedicated the day the entire village came out to build "their school". We didn't "build it". Money didn't build itâ?¦ That little village built it for Pastor Vilnor, the children and themselves. The pictures to date on Rennwish told of their construction efforts, so now - I'll try to tell the rest of the storyâ?¦

About two months ago - there was nothing.

Today?

Here is their storyâ?¦.. Or rather your storyâ?¦.

Adrien and Pastor Vilnor hold up the plaque dedicated to the memory of Natalie L. Streather - to which this school is dedicated. Next September, there will be over 250 children enrolled, and this plaque will hang in the admission/administrative office. It was hand carved by a local artist for this event. It is wonderful. The words are from both Gail & Adrian Streather, and Pastor Vilnor:
Click the image to open in full size.

And a close up:

Pastor Vilnor, Pat and I (and a few others? ) read the plaque for the first time..

The front of the school - where some final paint, walls, blocks are set a day or two before the dedication:

And a few workers.. This is their school - and they are proud...

This was taken in the Admin office (at the front). Yes, there is a bathroom. Yes - there are actual tiles. Yes - there will be running water and flushing toilets. Yes - they are proud of that as well:

I really need to explain the picture below.. The woman in the picture has lived in the village all her life. In my previous pictures - SHE IS THE OLD WOMAN WHO WAS CARRYING THE BLOCKS.. When she saw me - she walked over, and while weeping - gave me a huge hug and simply went on with her thanks. You folks - who have supported this effort - have her sincerest thanks.. Forever... She is a wonderful village matriarch who never imagined... But - for all of you - she is alive to see the day her village was changed. That's to your credit and to hers...

Friday - the day of the dedication.... I was a little "detained" - so this pic is from my Mom... The ceremony itself? While I was speaking (which was also broadcast over Haitian national radio - who would have guessed?) a few hundred attendees. The dedication lasted the entire day - and there were a thousand or so through the day? I dunno...

And some of the attendees:

And villagers who built their school:

And the crowd in the church for one of the dedications:

And outside the church - which is...

Why we just do this:

Thanks for reading...

John
Total Comments 3

Comments

Unread
For God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love which you have shown toward His name, in having ministered and in still ministering to the saints.
Unread
John,

Seems the "train of jumbled thoughts" reflect on milestones that are anything but "jumbled" or random actions.

The 'physical plant', if you will, is quite the building block to help begin to realize your vision, only to complete the construction by filling with passionate hearts and souls within.

Certainly trumps the facilities we utilized in remote mountains of Honduras!

You Rock, My Friend!

Godspeed,
Doc
Unread
Wow John... It must be amazing to see part of your dream come true. The things that you and Jenn have done for those people in Haiti is amazing. The two of you are truly amazing people.

Recent Blog Entries by Admin